Students from Ukraine

Extension of current stay/visa for the purpose of the study

  • Extending your current valid visa/residence permit for the purpose of the study is always the best option.
  • How to extend an existing visa/stay? → Extension of stay in CZE
  • If you held a valid visa/residence permit for the purpose of study, you are not entitled to temporary protection.
  • Do not apply for a Leave to remain visa/ Віза толерантності! See below

Extension of temporary protection

  • All holders of temporary protection can extend temporary protection.
  • On January 24th, 2023, a new online platform for registration to extend temporary protection was launched. → Temporary protection extension
  • You will have time to register online until March 31st, 2023. If you do not register by the end of March, your temporary protection will expire.
  • During online registration, please select a time slot for a personal appointment at a Ministry of the Interior office. You will receive a confirmation via e-mail that you completed the registration.
  • By registration and appointment reservation your temporary protection is extended until September 30th 2023. Therefore, you will have enough time to come to the Ministry of the Interior office for your appointment where you will receive a visa.
  • You must come in person to your appointment at the Ministry of the Interior office that you reserved during the online registration. What to bring to the office:
  1. a valid travel document if you hold one, or another document that proves your identity if you do not have a valid travel document,
  2. a proof of accommodation (you do not need to provide such a proof if you are staying in a facility provided via the state emergency accommodation system or you applied for temporary protection after June 27th 2022 and your place of reported residence has not changed),

If everything is in order, you will receive the visa that will extend your temporary protection until March 31st, 2024.

All the information about temporary protection available in the bottom part of the webpage Temporary protection. If you have been granted a Leave to remain visa issued in connection with the armed conflict in Ukraine, you do not need to apply for its extension. It will be extended until until the end of March 2024.

Leave to remain visa (Віза толерантності/ Vízum strpění)

If you possess your valid long-term visa or residence permit for the purpose of studies, do not apply for a Leave to remain visa (віза толерантності).

Students/applicants apply for the visa for leave even though they possess valid long-term residence permits that they intentionally expire. The system of obtaining the visa for leave may seem less complicated, but it bears complex restrictions binding the holders without any benefits.

If you are a student or an academic worker, we strongly recommend obtaining a regular long-term residence permit or long-term visa. You can find further information on the government website.


Restrictions of Leave to remain visa

Holders of Leave to remain visas are bound by the restrictions below.

  1. If the situation in Ukraine develops and there are some safe areas in the territory, the visa expires.
  2. This visa does not expire by leaving the territory of the Czech Republic. (holders can travel to other EU/Schengen countries, but only with a valid travel document).
  3. If the Leave to remain visa expires, it is not possible to prolong/switch to your long-term residence permit/visa for the purpose of studies.
  4. It is not possible to apply for other permits (it is possible to be a holder only of the Leave to remain visa).
  5. Leave to remain visa does not provide other financial benefits (it does not cover health insurance or other expenses).

Extension of Leave to remain visa

If you have been granted a leave to remain visa issued in connection with the armed conflict in Ukraine after February 24, 2022, do not apply for its extension. It will be extended after the upcoming amendment to Act No. 65/2022 Coll. automatically until 31 March 2024.


Coming from a different EU country with a Temporary Protection

Ukrainian students holding temporary protection in an EU member state other than the Czech Republic can now apply for long-term visas for study at the Czech Republic Embassy in Kyiv or Consulate General in Lviv. To apply, the student must be a citizen of Ukraine with temporary protection in another EU state, and the study must be related to accredited university programs or scholarship stays.

The application must be submitted in person with required documents such as passport data page, proof of temporary protection in another EU state, and a document confirming the purpose of stay. Further details on application requirements can be found on the embassy website about the possibility of applying for students.

Privacy settings

We use cookies and any other network identifiers on our website that may contain personal data (e.g. about how you browse our website). We and some of the service providers we use have access to or store this data on your device. This data helps us to operate and improve our services. For some purposes, your consent is required to process data collected in this way. You can change or revoke your consent at any time (see the link at the bottom the page).

(Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the website to function properly.)
(Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us to understand how our visitors use our website.)
(They are designed for promotional purposes, measuring the success of promotional campaigns, etc.)