Equal opportunities at Palacký University Olomouc
Palacký University in Olomouc strives to create an open, tolerant and respectful environment that excludes any form of discrimination. In future years, it will strive to increase gender equality and build a culture of equal opportunities. For this purpose, the Gender Equality Plan (EN) has been prepared, which sets out specific objectives and measures for the period 2022-2023 aimed at systematically addressing gender equality at UP. The Gender Equality Plan is fully in line with the Strategic Plan for Educational and Creative Activities of UP in Olomouc for the period 2021+ and the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R) / HR Award. By adopting the document, UP fulfills, among others, an important condition for the institution's involvement in international projects such as Horizon 2020.
The UP 2022–2023 Gender Equality Plan is a set of goals, activities, and measures designed to help build equal conditions and opportunities for all employees and students of the university. It was tailored to our organization and is the result of the UP gender equality analysis carried out in the second half of 2021 in cooperation with the company Gender Studies.
The analysis followed the gender audit best practices:
- Statistical data collection and analysis,
- Quantitative research (questionnaire survey),
- Qualitative research (individual and group interviews),
- Institutional analysis (analysis of internal documents and processes).
The main objectives
- Gender equality in recruitment and career growth.
- Gender equality in management and decision-making positions.
- Work-life balance, organizational culture.
- Integration of the gender dimension into research and educational content.
- Preventive measures against gender-based violence.
These headline targets form thematic areas within which specific sub-actions have been proposed for the period 2022-2023:
- Adjustment of UP recruitment and selection policy.
- Development of the UP adaptation methodology.
- Revision of the UP employee evaluation system.
- Modification of UP benefits policy.
- Amendment to the UP Career Code.
- Equal pay analysis at UP.
- Publicly available statistics of the men to women ratio at UP (in particular with regard to representation in management and decision-making positions).
- Mapping the family friendly environment at UP.
- Support for the policy of work-life balance at UP.
- Communication strategy for strengthening organizational culture at UP (Campaign the Fair University).
- Starting the topic of Age Management at UP.
- Establishment of the Equal Rights Committee (Commission for the implementation of the Gender Equality Plan).
- Online workshop on integrating the gender dimension into research.
- Opening a gender equality course for students.
- Implementation of a zero tolerance policy on gender-based violence at UP (including an information campaign on aid tools, periodic training for managers and workers, etc.)
In 2021, the share of women was 54%. A higher number of women is found in the central units (including Accommodation and Dining), where women make up 71% of all employees (category: other, i.e. admin, manual and healthcare jobs). Comparing faculties, the largest disparity between the number of women and men is at the Faculty of Science, where men make up 57%.
More statistics and charts from the field of human resources at UP on the website of the Department of Strategy and Quality.
Implementation and coordination
The current Gender Equal Plan is prepared for the period 2022-2023. The coordination is entrusted to the Human Resources Department at UP Rector's Office. The monitoring role will be performed by the Equal Rights Committee headed by the Rector of UP.
Human Resources Department, UP Rector's Office
Mgr. Markéta Šupplerová
Mgr. Dana Sztwiertnia Hellová
Other important documents
- Horizon Europe Guidance On Gender Equality Plans (GEPs) (The European Commission)
- Gender Equality Strategy 2020-2025 (The European Commission)
- The Position Of Women In Czech Science 2019 Monitoring Report (The Centre for Gender & Science)
- Gender Equality Strategy for 2021–2030 (Office of the Government of the Czech Republic)
- She figures 2021. Gender in Research and Innovation – statistics and indicators. (The European Commission)