2021 Elections for UP Rector
The Palacký University Academic Senate (hereinafter, “AS UP”) at its meeting on 20 January 2021 has launched, according to Article 25 Paragraph 12 and Article 24 Paragraph 1 of the AS UP Rules of Procedure, the procedure for nominating the UP Rector for the period 1 May 2021 to 30 April 2025, inclusive.
For the purposes of the UP Rector nomination procedure, AS UP has chosen the following members for the commission:
- doc. Mgr. Jiří Langer, Ph.D. (UP Faculty of Education) – chair
- prof. MUDr. Jiří Ehrmann, Ph.D. (UP Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry)
- doc. PhDr. Matúš Šucha, Ph.D. (UP Faculty of Arts)
- Mgr. Michal Nguyen (UP Faculty of Arts)
- JUDr. Veronika Tomoszková, Ph.D. (UP Faculty of Law)
- Written proposals for candidates for UP Rector by members of the UP academic community must be received by the UP senate via the AS UP Secretary by 3 pm on 19 February 2021.
- The AS UP Secretary will hand over all written proposals for candidates received by the established deadline to the special AS UP Elections Commission by 22 February 2021.
- The Commission will verify whether the proposal fulfils the prescribed formal requirements and whether the proposed candidate for UP Rector fulfils both general and binding legal requirements by 12 noon on 4 March 2021.
- The Commission will establish an alphabetical list of candidates for UP Rector and publish the list on the UP Official Notice Board by 5 March 2021.
- The deadline for publishing the candidates’ platforms on the AS UP webpages is 14 March 2021.
- Public presentation of the candidates for UP Rector and discussions by members of the UP academic community with the candidates will take place at 1 pm on 24 March 2021 in the UP Faculty of Education Assembly Hall (Aula).
- Presentation of the candidates for UP Rector before the AS UP and the first round (and if need be, second and third rounds) of the elections will take place on 31 March 2021.
- The AS UP chair will forward the election results and the protocol on the choice of the candidate for UP Rector including the documents for naming the Rector to the Minister of Education by 7 April 2021.
- If there is no clear choice as to which candidate will proposed by AS UP for UP Rector to the Minister even after a third round of elections, there will be announced procedures for new nominations for UP Rector.
The election of the rector will be decided by the UP Academic Senate when it meets at 1 pm on 31 March in the Faculty of Education Assembly Hall. With respect to the measures in force in conjunction with the Covid-19 pandemic, only senators and the candidates for rector will be physically present. All those interested will be able to follow the entire session via live stream on the webpage avp.upol.cz/stream.
General information on election requirements for candidates for Palacký University Olomouc Rector for the 2021–2025 term
The Palacký University Olomouc Academic Senate (hereinafter, “AS UP”) has announced according to Article 9, Paragraph 1, item h) and Article 9, Paragraph 4 of Law No. 111/1998, Czech Law Coll. on Universities and as amended and supplemented by other laws (hereinafter, the “Law”), the procedures for nominating candidates for Palacký University Olomouc (hereinafter, “UP”) Rector for the term 1 May 2021 to 30 April 2025, inclusive.
1. Requirements and procedure for voting for candidates for UP Rector
The requirements and procedure for proposing nominations for UP Rector are regulated by the AS UP Rules of Procedure (hereinafter, the “Rules”) in Article 24.
Every member of the UP academic community has the right to submit a proposal for nominating a candidate for UP Rector.
The proposal must be submitted to AS UP in writing, via the AS UP Secretary. by the established deadline listed in the Elections Calendar, which has been approved by the AS UP.
Palacký University Olomouc
Rector’s Office – Secretary of the AS UP
(Nomination for UP Rector)
779 00 Olomouc
The proposal must contain:
- the first name, surname, title(s) and year of birth of the nominated person,
- the workplace/current profession of the nominated person,
- a statement by the nominated person as to whether or not there may exist a conflict of interest according to Article 7 of the UP Statutes,
- the signature of the nominated person confirming their agreement to become a candidate; the signature can be substituted by another unquestionable expression of consent,
- the name, surname, date of signature and signature of the nominator;
The form for nominating a candidate for UP Rector is available for download here (in Czech). In case of any questions, please contact the chair of the AS UP, JUDr. Mag. iur. Michal Malacka, Ph.D., MBA, tel. 585 637 705, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Commission which has been chosen by the AS UP will determine whether the candidate in question fulfils the legal requirements.
2. Requirements for candidates for UP Rector
According to the requirements of the Legislation and Law Department of Office of the President of the Republic, the proposal for nomination must include:
- the curriculum vitae of the candidate with basic information (CV according to Europass standards with information provided as to their academic and managerial qualifications and other determining experience, experience abroad, and summary of publication and project activities to date),
- certification, pursuant to Article 9, Paragraph 1 of Law No. 451/1991, Czech Law Coll., which stipulates certain other prerequisites for the execution of various functions in state bodies and organisations of the Czech and Slovak Federal Republics, the Czech Republic, and the Slovak Republic (notarised copy),
- statutory declaration by the candidate according to Article 4, Paragraph 3, of Law No. 451/1991 Czech Law Coll. (example available here in Czech).
- prof. Mgr. Martin Kudláček, Ph.D.
- prof. PhDr. Jiří Lach, M.A., Ph.D.
- prof. RNDr. Tomáš Opatrný, Dr.
- prof. MUDr. Martin Procházka, Ph.D.
On Wednesday, 24 March 2021, a public presentation of the candidates for the position of rector took place. Due to the epidemic situation, it took the online form, including a subsequent discussion with pre-registered participants. Video footage of the presentation and discussion is available on the university`s YouTube channel.
The election of the new rector will be decided by the senators of the UP Academic Senate at their regular meeting on 31 March from 13:00 in the Auditorium of the Faculty of Education. In view of the stringent measures in the context of the covid-19 pandemic, only senators and candidates for rector will be allowed to participate physically in this session. However, all other interested parties will be able to watch the entire session and election via live stream on avp.upol.cz/stream.
On 31 March 2021, at the meeting of the Academic Senate of UP, prof. Martin Procházka, Ph.D. was elected for the position of Rector of Palacký University.