Ukrainian Students

Extension of current stay/visa for the purpose of the study

Extending your current valid visa/residence permit for the purpose of the study is always the best option. How to extend an existing visa/residence permit? → Extension of stay in CZE

If you hold a valid visa/residence permit for the purpose of study, you are not entitled for temporary protection.

For comprehensive information about temporary protection extension visit the page of MOI.

The following page can help you decide which document you might need:

Do not apply for a leave-to-remain visa/ Віза толерантності! See below.

Extension of temporary protection

You have to register for an extension until March 15, 2024, at the page of MOI or your temporary protection residence permit expires on March 31, 2024. After you register and reserve a date, your visa is automatically extended until September 30, 2024, and after the successful application until March 31, 2025. After you register, you will have to attend an appointment on the date you choose at the portal of MOI. Here is a document describing the process (in Ukrainian).

At the appointment, you will need the following documents:

  • A valid travel document, if you hold one, or another document to prove your identity.
  • Proof of accommodation, which may be -> If you are providing a written agreement of accommodation, it must be signed by the owner or authorised occupier of the flat/property (if you are being accommodated by a natural person, use the form for natural persons, If you are being accommodated by a legal person, use the form for legal persons.
  • Lease or sublease agreement: If you are documenting a lease or sublease agreement, a certified signature is not required. Your documents will be placed on file, so it is recommended that you provide a certified copy of the agreement.
  • (If the document is not signed by the owner of the property, the relationship between the person signing the document and the owner of the property must be documented (e.g. a power of attorney from the owner or a certified copy of the contract).)

From July 1, 2023, the online booking service for making appointments at the Asylum and Migration Policy Department offices was transferred to the new Information Portal for Foreigners. User accounts which were created in the Foreigners Reservation System web application are not automatically switched to the new Information Portal for Foreigners. They will be deleted. If you do not yet have an account on the new Information Portal for Foreigners and you wish to make an online appointment at an Asylum and Migration Policy Department Office, you must create a new user account. You must come in person to your appointment at the Regional Assistance Centre for Ukraine that you reserved during the online registration. What to bring to the office:

  • A valid travel document - if you hold one, or another document that proves your identity if you do not have a valid travel document
  • A proof of accommodation - a) if the accommodation is provided by a natural person, use the form for natural persons, b) if the accommodation is provided by a legal entity, use the form for legal entities (docx, 42 kB)
  • A proof that you were residing in Ukraine on February 24, 2022, and left Ukraine as a result of the invasion of the Russian Federation (e.g. passport details, humanitarian entry certificate or other document issued in your name attesting to your stay in Ukraine)
  • Photography (45 × 35 mm) - recommended but not necessary

If everything is in order, you will receive the visa that will extend your temporary protection until March 31, 2024.

All the information about temporary protection is available in the bottom part of the webpage Temporary protection. If you have been granted a Leave-to-remain visa issued in connection with the armed conflict in Ukraine, you do not need to apply for its extension. It will be extended until the end of March 2024.

Leave to remain visa (Віза толерантності/ Vízum strpění)

If you possess your valid long-term visa or residence permit for the purpose of studies, do not apply for a Leave to remain visa (віза толерантності).

Students/applicants apply for the visa for leave even though they possess valid long-term residence permits that they intentionally expire. The system of obtaining the visa for leave may seem less complicated, but it bears complex restrictions binding the holders without any benefits.

If you are a student or an academic worker, we strongly recommend obtaining a regular long-term residence permit or long-term visa. You can find further information on the government website.


Extension of Leave to remain visa

If you have been granted a leave to remain visa issued in connection with the armed conflict in Ukraine after February 24 2022 do not apply for its extension. It will be extended after the upcoming amendment to Act No. 65/2022 Coll. automatically until 31 March 2024.


Restrictions of Leave to remain visa

Holders of Leave to remain visas are bound by the following restrictions:

  • If the situation in Ukraine develops and there are some safe areas in the territory, the visa expires.
  • This visa does not expire by leaving the territory of the Czech Republic (holders can travel to other EU/Schengen countries, but only with a valid travel document).
  • If the Leave to remain visa expires, it is not possible to prolong/switch to your long-term residence permit/visa for the purpose of studies.
  • It is not possible to apply for other permits (it is possible to be a holder only of the Leave to remain visa).
  • Leave to remain visa does not provide other financial benefits (it does not cover health insurance or other expenses).

Coming from a different EU country with a Temporary Protection

Ukrainian students holding temporary protection in an EU member state other than the Czech Republic can now apply for long-term visas for study at the Czech Republic Embassy in Kyiv or Consulate General in Lviv. To apply, the student must be a citizen of Ukraine with temporary protection in another EU state and the study must be related to accredited university programs or scholarship stays.

The application must be submitted in person with required documents such as passport data page, proof of temporary protection in another EU state, and a document confirming the purpose of stay. Further details on application requirements can be found on the embassy website about the possibility of applying for students.

Privacy settings

We use cookies and any other network identifiers on our website that may contain personal data (e.g. about how you browse our website). We and some of the service providers we use have access to or store this data on your device. This data helps us to operate and improve our services. For some purposes, your consent is required to process data collected in this way. You can change or revoke your consent at any time (see the link at the bottom the page).

(Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the website to function properly.)
(Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us to understand how our visitors use our website.)
(They are designed for promotional purposes, measuring the success of promotional campaigns, etc.)