Visa & Travel

Before arrival

Visas - application

The following information sums up the basic and most important facts and requirements. Always check the current conditions on the website of the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs and contact the nearest Czech embassy for updated and complete information.

Visa requirements according to the country of origin

  • EU citizens + citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland 
    These citizens do not need a visa, just a travel document for entering the country (ID, Passport).
  • Foreign nationals from outside the EU do need a visa.
    There are two types – short-term and long-term visa. The short-term visa (type C) is valid for max. 90 days. If you stay over 90 days you can apply either for the long-term visa (type D) or if you stay more than 12 months it is recommended to apply for a long-term residence permit. The residence of foreign nationals in the Czech Republic is governed by the Act on the Residence of Aliens in the Territory of the Czech Republic (Act 326/99, as amended).

You must apply for (and obtain) a visa before your departure for the Czech Republic. The processing time is up to 60 days (but it might take longer) and therefore it is recommended to apply for your visa or long-term residence permit as soon as you receive the letter of acceptance and proof of accommodation.

The following documents are required for a student visa or a long-term residence permit. They need to be less than 1 month old:

  • Completed application
  • A valid passport and passport photos
  • Documents related to the purpose of the stay (e.g. a letter of acceptance from the education institution)
  • Proof of funds for your stay (e.g. a bank statement or a confirmation of being beneficiary of a grant)
  • Proof of accommodation – this is submitted by Palacký University directly to the embassy via data box, you can request a print-out
  • A criminal records check with its official translation into Czech language
  • Proof of health insurance valid in the Czech Republic: Comprehensive health care with Pojišťovna VZP, a.s. - can be arranged online on this website -, for more information scroll down.

Citizens of selected countries may be required to provide extra documents – e.g. health card report (African countries), etc.

The original or a certified copy of the documents must be submitted. Documents are required in Czech or must be translated into Czech.

This list above is just to give you an idea, for detailed information please visit:

For more information or if you need help with arranging your visa, please contact the International Relations Office at

The Ministry of Interior updated the information in July 2019 for university students and it is available in English, Czech, Russian, Ukrainian and Turkish. Please click on the image to see the particular version.


Health Insurance

It is the responsibility of each student to have their health insurance arranged for the entire time of their stay in the Czech Republic.

EU students are requested to bring along a ‘European Health Insurance Card’ (EHIC). The students should apply for the EHIC at a national health insurance provider in their home country before departure. The valid card will give you an access to state-provided health care during your temporary stay in the Czech Republic. Please note that it does not guarantee free services.

International students/non EU citizens insurance:

  • Travel health insurance must cover the costs of comprehensive health care for the entire stay in the Czech Republic.
  • Comprehensive health care - must include preventive and follow-up (= regular medical supervision during certain disease) treatment and care related to pregnancy and childbirth.
  • The minimum insurance cover must be EUR 60,000 without co-payment. Insurance may be taken only by the VZP Insurance Company, Inc.
  • Comprehensive health care with Pojišťovna VZP, a.s. - can be arranged online on this website -

Pojišťovna VZP a.s., VZP online form

Pojišťovna VZP a.s. was established as a subsidiary company of VZP = Všeobecná zdravotní pojišťovna České republiky (General Medical Insurance Company of the Czech Republic).

Please note that you can also arrange your comprehensive health insurance directly at VZP online. As it is the biggest provider of the health insurance in the Czech Republic, you can rely on an acceptance of your VZP health insurance by most doctors.

International students/EU citizens coming with a valid EHIC (see above) should register at the VZP, Olomouc office after their arrival. Only submission of a valid EHIC is required. The central IRO provides basic instructions and helps students with the registration.

To sum up

If you are a visa student you are required to arrange comprehensive health insurance - VZP a.s. Non-visa EU students need to bring a valid EHIC and have it registered after the arrival in the CR to receive the state-provided health care.

It is also worthwhile considering travel insurance arrangement covering private healthcare or costs for a transportation back home, repatriation or lost/stolen property.

Getting to Olomouc

Train and coach

There are several ways to get to the Czech Republic. If you plan to travel by train, check these websites of Czech railway companies: and (also coaches)
If you decide to travel by coach, you can have a look at: or


If you decide to travel by car, you should keep in mind the driving rules in the Czech Republic:

  • zero alcohol tolerance
  • no use of mobile phones and other communication devices while driving
  • mandatory use of seat belts
  • mandatory use of headlights at all times
  • mandatory use of helmets by cyclists and motorcyclists

Speed limits: In-town speed limit: 50 km/h, Roads: 90 km/h, Motorways: 130 km/h.
You can check the validity of your driving licence on the Ministry of the interior of the Czech Republic website.

Always carry your driving license, ID, and vehicle registration documents with you in your car as you may be fined if you do not. You must purchase a pass to be able to use Czech motorways. You can buy one-year, one-month, or ten-day passes, which are all available at border crossings, post offices, and petrol stations. Rented cars automatically come with the pass displayed in the window. To rent a car, you usually must be at least 21 and have held your license for one year.


If you are planning to travel by plane, you will likely arrive at the international Václav Havel Airport Prague (PRG) or Vienna Airport (Austria, VIE). Low cost companies also fly to Brno and Ostrava or Bratislava (Slovakia). For more, see their respective websites.

Getting from the Prague airport to Olomouc

Travelling from Prague to Olomouc by train is the most comfortable way and that is why we suggest you go for this option. The Prague Public Transport Company offers a special airport bus providing direct connection between the airport and the Main Railway Station - look for Airport Express.

Bus No. 119 runs every 10 minutes from 4:30 to 23:30 between the airport and Nádraží Veleslavín metro station. You need to purchase a 32 CZK ticket at a newspaper stand or from the yellow ticket machine at the bus stop. This ticket is valid within the whole city network for 75 minutes (90 minutes on the weekend and at night from 8 pm to 5 am). Change at Nádraží Veleslavín station to metro line A, go to Muzeum station, and change to metro line C and get off at Hlavní Nádraží (Main Railway Station, abbrev. Praha Hl. n.).

See Prague Public Transport web for details.

You can take a taxi, but the airport tends to have the highest charging taxis; please be aware that Prague taxi-drivers are notorious for overcharging foreigners. If you still prefer to go by taxi, we suggest calling City Taxi (+420 257 257 257).

Getting from the Vienna airport to Olomouc

The most comfortable way to get from the Vienna airport to Olomouc is to use private transport companies which offer multiple times-a-day express connection direct from the airport. or

Travelling from Prague to Olomouc

At the Main Railway Station you need to buy a ticket to Olomouc (which is pronounced something like "O-lo-moats"). The best thing is to find the ČD Centrum (Czech Railways Information Office), where the staff speak English. A single ticket from Prague to Olomouc is around 250 CZK. You can decide if you want to travel with Czech Railways or with private companies such as Regiojet: or Leo express The trip to Olomouc takes 2.5-3 hours, depending on the type of train that you take.

Travelling in the Czech Republic - Public Transport Information System (IDOS)

If you want to check the available trains, coaches, buses and trams at the same place, use the Internet Timetable Information System, or IDOS. The system provides time tables of all forms of public transport, from international connections to Olomouc trams. It is also available in English and German.

Transport in Olomouc


The main railway station in Olomouc (Hlavní nádraží, Hl. n.) is a public transport hub. If you plan to travel by train more frequently, we suggest getting a special railway discount card, for example the In-karta. Ask for more information at the railway station. Other railway operators offer discounts as well; check their websites and

Buses and Coaches

The main coach station in Olomouc is not too far from the main railway station (the stop Autobusové Nádraží Podchod of tram no. 4, the second stop after the main railway station in the direction of Pavlovičky). Although the majority of long-distance (inter)national lines stop at the main coach station, be aware that, for example, the Student Agency coaches stop close to the main railway station, so plan your trip carefully. Regional buses in Olomouc have their stops either in front of the main railway station or at Tržnice, which is closer to the city centre and has a small bus station, too. The free shuttle bus no. 60 to the Olympia Shopping Mall also stops at Tržnice and the main railway station.

Public Transport in Olomouc

Olomouc has a dense public transport network of tram and bus lines. The major operator is Dopravní podnik města Olomouce (Olomouc Public Transport Company, DPMO). For information about connections, tickets, fares, etc., please see their website:
Departure times are also available at


You need a valid ticket to use the public transport. You either need to buy a ticket from a ticket machine or other vendor or purchase one from the driver. You will also need to validate the ticket once inside the vehicle. The tickets are the same for both trams and buses. The fares are as follows:

  • 18 CZK single ticket (Valid within all parts of Olomouc for 40 minutes (60 mins at the weekend)).
  • 23 CZK discounted 24hrs ticket (a valid student card/ISIC must be presented to the controller), 46 CZK full price 24hrs ticket.

The discounted ticket is for students up to 26 and are valid only if you have your ISIC card with you!

  • 175 CZK/350 CZK student/adult monthly pass The monthly pass is valid for 30 days from the day of purchase.
  • 450 CZK/ 900 CZK student/adult 3-month pass The 3-month pass is valid for three months from the day of purchase.
  • 1350 CZK student 10-month pass.

Where to buy the single/daily tickets?

  • the yellow self-service ticket machines installed at the stops
  • from the driver, which is a little bit more expensive (20 CZK for a single ticket) and you need to have the exact change
  • by SMS to 90206 with 'DPMO' typed in the message
  • at newspaper stands, selected shops or supermarkets
  • at tourist centres

With your valid ticket you can ride any combination of buses and trams to complete your trip. Buses and trams run, on average, from 4:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., depending on the particular line. Night transportation is covered by buses no. 50, 51 and 52, which run in three different circuits around the city, or about once every hour.

How to get the public transport student pass?

Unless you wish to buy a single ticket every day, you can get one of the two last options. Apply for them at the Public Transport Company Office (Dopravní podnik) at the main railway station or in the city centre. Ask for "měsíční průkaz" (a 1-month pass) or "čtvrtletní průkaz" (a 3-month pass). Present a valid ID card (see Chapter ID-card) and have a passport photo ready. You will be asked to pay 175 CZK or 450 CZK respectively on the spot. The offices are at:

  • Main railway station (Hl. nádraží - entrance hall): when you enter it is on your left hand side, the DPMO sign in red
  • Legionářská 1 (the corner of náměstí Hrdinů and Palacký St.)

Ticket inspection

Inspectors check tickets on buses and trams on a random basis. Be aware that they do not wear any kind of uniform, often looking like regular passengers until the tram pulls away from the stop. They are obliged to prove their identity with a special ID. If you do not have a valid ticket, you will be fined 700 CZK if you pay on the spot or within 3 working days or 1,500 CZK if later.

However, if you happen to leave your valid tram pass (3-month pass) at home, do not worry. Just tell the inspector that you own a valid pass and you will be given a note, which you can present at the DPMO office and pay only a 60 CZK fine for the absence of your pass.


Taxis are usually waiting in front of the main station and at the "bar district" in the city centre. 

How to get to Envelopa

After your arrival in Olomouc, you should check in at the dormitories. Almost all the dormitories are within the two main areas, Envelopa and Neředín. If you are travelling to the Envelopa area from the railway station, take tram no. 2, 3, 4 or 6 (direction to the centre) and get off at the second stop (Žižkovo náměstí). The dormitories are about a 3-minute walk along 17 Listopadu Street. To find your dormitory, follow the signs.


How to get to Neředín

To reach the Neředín area, take tram no. 2 or 7 and get off at the very end. The dormitories are open even at the weekends, so you can move into your room almost any time (breaks of front-desks: 11:30 – 12:00, 17:00-18:00, 23:30 – 01:00). If the accommodation office is closed, ask for the key at the front desk, provided that you have notified them of your arrival in advance.

Upon arrival

Visa and Foreign Police - registration and extension

Upon arrival in the Czech Republic you are obliged to do a few things depending on the type of visa with which you came to the Czech Republic. Please check below to see which group you belong to and then simply follow the instructions.

Reporting your place of residence in the territory of the Czech Republic

By law, all foreigners who enter the territory of the Czech Republic are obliged to report to the Foreign Police (hereinafter FP). The accommodation provider has the reporting responsibility, which means that if you are staying in the dormitories or in a hotel, your accommodation provider will report your place of residence for you and you do not need to see an FP officer yourself.

The reporting rules vary based on the type of visa or residence permit and your accommodation:

  • EU citizens + citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland & foreigners who do not need a visa
    If you stay in the dormitories/hotel, you do not have to report in person. The dormitory officials will report your residence for you; you only need to complete the relevant document when moving in. If you live in private accommodation, you have to report in person to the FP within 30 days of entering the Czech Republic, provided you are staying for more than 90 days. You will need a confirmation from the owner of the apartment, e.g. a lease contract.
  • Short-term visa holders (type C max. 90 days) and non-EU foreigners authorized to reside in the Czech Republic without a visa
    If you live in the dormitories, you do not need to see an FP officer yourself. The dormitory officials will report your residence for you; you only need to complete the relevant document when moving in. If you live in private accommodation, you have to report to the FP within 3 working days of entering the territory of the Czech Republic. You will need a confirmation from the owner of the apartment, e.g. a lease contract.
  • Long-term visa holders
    If you live in the dormitories, you do not need to see an FP officer yourself. The dormitory officials will report your residence for you; you only need to complete the relevant document when moving in. In case you stay in private accommodation, you have to report to the FP within 3 working days upon entering the territory of the Czech Republic. You will need a confirmation of your accommodation, e.g. a lease contract and a copy of your health insurance.
    Note that if you want to continue your study after your visa has expired, you need to apply for the long term residence permit 120 days at the earliest and not later than the last working day before the expiration of your visa.
  • Long-term residence permit for study purposes
    If you have arrived with an arranged long-term residence for the purposes of study, you have to contact the International Relations Officer at your faculty within 3 working days and then you will be invited to report to the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy. Here your biometric data (photo and fingerprints) will be collected and you will receive a document allowing you to stay in the Czech Republic.
    Remember that as part of their long-term residence foreigners from outside the EU may travel within the Schengen area, but cannot be away from the registered place of residence for more than 90 continuous days.

Extension or change of residence permit, change of address

To extend your long-term residence permit or to apply for a switch from long-term visa you have to submit:

  • passport
  • two passport photos
  • a certificate of student status/confirmation of enrolment
  • proof of accommodation – typically a lease contract in Czech with the complete address of your accommodation and signed by the owner
  • proof of complex health insurance - with a health insurance company in the Czech Republic
  • income verification (Proof of funds) – typically a bank statement that shows that you have sufficient funds for your stay (at present min. 86,000 CZK) or a proof of scholarship issued by the University.

All documents, except the bank statement, must be in Czech original and cover the whole duration of your requested residence permit (max. 1 year). You can learn more about the requirements at

If you change your address during your stay, you must report this change in person at the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy within 30 days of the change.

Note that you must submit your application for a long-term residence change or extension 120 days at the earliest and not later than the last working day before the expiration of your current residence permit/visa.

It is highly recommended to submit the application as early as possible, especially before holidays, even if you do not have all the necessary documents. You will be allowed to complete the documentation later.

If you apply for an extension of your residence permit and plan to return to your home country while your application is being processed, inform the officer when submitting the application and, if necessary, provide a contact address. Also, arrange for picking up your post mail while you are away.

If you receive a formal notice from the immigrations office, it is necessary to act according to the content of such a notice. It is a legally binding act and if you do not fulfil its requirements (such as submit a document) within the set time period, your application process will be stopped.

Immigrations offices contacts

To report your residence in the Czech Republic:

Department of Foreign Police Olomouc
Smetanova 14, Olomouc
Tel.: +420 974 761 845, +420 974 761 841
Mon and Wed 8am – 3pm
Tue and Thu 8am – 12noon

To arrange your long-term residence permit for the purpose of study, to extend your long-term visa, to report change of your address during your stay with a long-term visa, to apply for a switch from a long-term visa to a long-term residence permit for the purpose of study:

Department for Asylum and Migration Policy Olomouc
třída Svobody 8, Olomouc
Office hours: Thu 8am – 2pm

If you need help with visa matters, please contact the Welcome Office (, contact person Ms. Alena Vyskočilová (Vodární 6, Olomouc, +420 585 631 237).
Please in communication state your name, surname, date of birth, passport number and nationality, specifying your problem.

It is always better to have a Czech speaker (your Czech buddy) with you.

Department for Asylum and Migration Policy Přerov
U Výstaviště 3183/18
Tel.: 974 760 399
Office hours:
Mo, We: 8.00 – 17.00 (12:00 – 12:30 break)
Tu, Th: 8.00 – 12.00

You do not need to make an appointment in Přerov. To get there from the train station in Přerov you need to take the bus no. 105 from “autobusová stanice“ (to the right of the train station), get off at the third stop “Most Míru“ and change to bus no. 104. Then get off at the fourth stop “Kopaniny, výstaviště“. The office is in a big modern building across the street. If you go to Přerov by bus, you can ask if it stops at “Most Míru“ and take the bus 104 from there as described above.

If anything mentioned above is not clear to you or if you have any question regarding your stay in the Czech Republic, do not hesitate to contact officers of the Ministry of the Interior via e-mail or telephone (+420) 974 832 421, (+420)974 832 418.

Czech Republic Settlement Scheme for UK citizens after Brexit

Please read the Czech Republic Settlement Scheme for UK citizens after Brexit:

Privacy settings

We use cookies and any other network identifiers on our website that may contain personal data (e.g. about how you browse our website). We and some of the service providers we use have access to or store this data on your device. This data helps us to operate and improve our services. For some purposes, your consent is required to process data collected in this way. You can change or revoke your consent at any time (see the link at the bottom the page).

(Essential cookies enable basic functions and are necessary for the website to function properly.)
(Statistics cookies collect information anonymously. This information helps us to understand how our visitors use our website.)
(They are designed for promotional purposes, measuring the success of promotional campaigns, etc.)